Flow Music starts
After a couple of years of designing, shaving and testing we created our first product line of saxophone mouthpieces. We started from scratch and the difficulty was the airflow inside the mouthpiece. The next challenge was the process of the 3d-printing. First, we thought it must be very easy to create a nice and playable mouthpiece with a 3d-printer. But the case was much more difficult.
The way we made our mouthpieces is to develop and try the results. But in the process of development, there are a lot of variables and decisions to make.
For example, the print process is difficult and you want to have a surface as smooth as possible. The air needs to flow into the mouthpiece with a certain angle. Without the right angle, the mouthpiece doesn’t want to play or it was very difficult to get sound out of it.
Sometimes it wasn’t the way shape or the design. The 3D-printer can have it’s problems too and also the raw materials we use. In the following examples, you see some nice failures.
In the end, there are more variables to make the mouthpiece. We did a lot of research about existing saxophone mouthpieces, materials, printers and all the things we thought it was necessary to develop our first flow mouthpiece collection.